For many years, the only tooth filling option available was metal. It was cheap and easy to use, so it became the standard. However, many technological advances have lead to extremely effective tooth-colored fillings.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
There are many benefits of these new type of fillings:
- Visual Appeal – The sight of a mouth full of metal can be distracting, but the new material used for fillings can be matched to the exact color of your tooth. The filling will look virtually invisible.
- Strength – The older metal fillings were only able to give teeth 40% – 50% of their previous strength, which is why fillings would crack so often. The biocompatible resin used now can better adhere to the tooth, making it almost as strong as it once was.
- Long-lasting – Since there is an increased strength, there is less chance of cracking, which lowers the chance of needing to get the filling repaired. The composition of the resin is much more ph balanced when compared to old metal fillings, which helps to keep your overall oral health in a beneficial place.
- Renovation – Even if you have metal fillings from previous dental work, the team at Edinburg Family Dentistry can discuss options to rejuvenate your smile and switch to tooth-colored fillings.
- Convenient – Procedures can easily be taken care of in one visit. The material can also be used to fix small cracks or chips.
Fillings are an easy way to stop a cavity in its tracks and prevent a larger issue from occurring. With the innovations that have lead to a more natural appearance, fillings don’t have to get in the way of having a beautiful smile.