At Edinburg Family Dentistry parents often ask us if an over-the-counter mouthguard is adequate protection for their child’s smiles. The answer, however, can be a bit more complicated than just a yes or no. What are you using the mouthguard for? What sports do they play? Do they have bruxism? These are just a few questions that factor into whether or not a custom mouthguard would be a better option for your child.
Most over-the-counter mouthguards are fabricated using thin, pliable plastic designed to be suitable for a wide range of customers. They are typically fit using a “boil and bite” method, which involves heating the mouthguard for a period of time before carefully placing it in the mouth to be fitted. If they are uncomfortable, the customer can cut and alter them to fit better.
Things to Consider with Over-The-Counter Mouthguards
- Over-the-counter mouthguards may not protect against violent teeth grinding.
- Mouthguards from the store don’t often last long.
- Store bought mouth guards typically don’t fit properly.
- Over-the-counter mouthguards provide less protection during sports.
Custom Mouthguards in Edinburg
Unlike over-the-counter mouthguards, custom-fit mouthguards are prescribed, designed and fabricated by a professional dentist. Instead of thin, pliable plastic, thermoplastic is used for more durability and protection. Custom mouthguards are also designed based on your mouth; no two custom-fit mouthguards are the same.
Things to Consider with Custom-Fit Mouthguards
- Custom mouthguards provide the best dental protection available.
- Custom-fit mouthguards are designed to be durable and long-lasting.
- Professional mouthguards protect the teeth and alleviate jaw tension.
- Customized mouthguards are more expensive than store-bought alternatives.
- A dental appointment is required to receive a custom-fit mouthguard.
Want to make sure your child’s smile is as protected as possible while they play sports? Does your child suffer from clenching and grinding, resulting in damaged teeth? Our custom-fit mouthguards in Edinburg can help! Get in touch with Edinburg Family Dentistry today to schedule your appointment.